Cluster.dev - Cloud Infrastructures' Management Tool ¶
Cluster.dev is an open-source tool designed to manage cloud native infrastructures with simple declarative manifests - stack templates. It allows you to describe a whole infrastructure and deploy it with a single tool.
Stack templates could be based on Terraform modules, Kubernetes manifests, Shell scripts, Helm charts and ArgoCD/Flux applications, OPA policies, etc. Cluster.dev sticks those components together so that you could deploy, test and distribute a whole set of components with pinned versions.
When do I need Cluster.dev? ¶
- If you have a common infrastructure pattern that contains multiple components stuck together. Like a bunch of TF-modules, or a set of K8s addons. So you need to re-use this pattern inside your projects.
- If you develop an infrastructure platform that you ship to other teams, and they need to launch new infras from your template.
- If you build a complex infrastructure that contains different technologies, and you need to perform integration testing to confirm the components' interoperability. After which you can promote the changes to next environments.
- If you are a software vendor and you need to deliver infrastructure deployment along with your software.
Base concept diagrams ¶
Stack templates are composed of units - Lego-like building blocks responsible for passing variables to a particular technology.
Templates define infrastructure patterns or even the whole platform.
- Common variables, secrets and templating for different technologies.
- Same GitOps Development experience for Terraform, Shell, Kubernetes.
- Could be used with any Cloud, On-premises or Hybrid scenarios.
- Encourage teams to follow technology best practices.